Sunday, November 25, 2018

Qi Gong 3 years on

I have been doing qi gong - chi kung - for 3 years now.

This is my yearly update.
The
I cannot say I have made any improvements in this year. I have struggled to get my mind into neutral too many times this year, which is why. I have had to come back later in the day and repeat the session to get the effects of the moves.
Something I did learn however, if I do the yoga moves, salute to the sun, first, then that tiers out my body, which helps calm the mind for the qi gong session. This is a good find.
I bought a yoga mat that folds up and is quite thick off, of ebay for £17. I can use it outside if I put some cardboard down too.

To make an advance in qi gong, I think I need a teacher. I know there is one near by, and I ought to go. The group situation is meant to be conducive to producing chi and will help for focus, I bet.
Having said that I have not gone backwards, I think in qi gong. I have been maintaining my efforts and any skills in here but I cannot expect advances. I do not do the fire/water moves any more as they are demanding on the knees I think.

I do have some things 'to do': investigate the  dragon and tiger qi gong books I bought by Bruce Frantizis. This looks doable. I want the videos too. (Need the exchange rate to be better).
Then I want to go thought the qi gong sounds cd I have. That would be of value.

I have put these new areas off, for a bit, as it has to be done properly or not at all, I think. I do not want to learn new moves without properly knowing why I am doing the moves and what is needed. (Youtube vids on qi gong are plentiful but they do not stress often what internally the focus is / what type of breathing or thinking should be going on. (This is why I like Dr Yang Jing Ming's work for example - very theoretical).

Bruce Frantzis does however do this. 

I taught my sister the 8 moves of brocade recently. Or rather I showed her the moves and we did it together a few times. The wu chi position seemed to make an impact. This was good, as I had to relearn the ideas behind the moves properly, so you know what organs are benefiting for instance. I showed my nephew the moves too but he did not keep these up. Pity. They are the 8 'treasures' after all.

No comments: